Wednesday, July 09, 2008

The Museum Tour

Yesterday, I decided to take you for a museum tour. You were reluctant to go, because none of your friends or cousins could join us. I was a bit sad, because that means you didn’t think that you would have fun, just going with me. But I knew that you would, like always.

The first museum that we went to was the Textile Museum at Jalan SK Tubun, Tanah Abang. The textile collection was actually a bit pathetic. I wonder how can a textile museum display only such a limited collection, especially when we all know how rich our country is when it comes to textile and clothes. But then, that was expected.

My intention coming to this museum was not to look at the textile, but to let you learn how to make a hand made batik (batik tulis). At the back of the museum, at a pendopo, kids and adults were busy making batik in a traditional way. You began with copying the desired design onto a cloth, put on the hot wax according to the design, color it with any colors that you wish, dry it, and voila, you have created a beautiful hand-made batik handkerchief.


After a quick lunch, we went to the second museum, the armed forces museum, Satria Mandala, at Jalan Gatot Subroto. Needless to say, you were very excited, walking briskly from one room to another.

I like this museum, Apart from the National Museum, I think this is the best museum I have visited in Jakarta. It was quite big, with spacious open air area where they displayed old aircrafts, tanks and other war vehicles. The collection was quite many and well taken care of. Most importantly, when you were inside, the air-con worked very well. The only downside was, there was no tour guide available to take us through the collections. What a pity.

At the end of the day, you enjoyed the day very much. So, going just with mom can be as much fun, right honey?
.
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Son,

I am very glad that you enjoyed your holidays although we didn't go out of town.