Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Your 8th Birthday

It’s the evening before your birthday, I was still in my office, chatting with my good friend:

Me: BTW, I’m taking a day-off tomorrow, my kid’s birthday
Her: Ooooh, happy birthday......
Me: Yeah...., I’m enjoying motherhood
Her: How old is he?
Me: He’s going to be 8
Her: Wow, 8. Time flies.....
Me: Yups, but this year, I’m not as confused as last year, as to whether we need to have a birthday celebration at school
Her: But you are going to have a birthday party at home?
Me: At home, yes, but we’ll wait until we move to our new house by end of the month
Her: Oh. And he’s okay with that? Good boy...
Me: I’ll just do a mom and son day out tomorrow
Me: He’s okay, but that’s after I told him that I’m going to buy him the DS….
Her: Day out to?
Me: Day out to buy a birthday present and a new pair of shoes
Her: Ha ha. Exactly like my nieces, when they have to choose between present and party, usually they choose present
Me: Yeah, he’s learning to spend money wisely
Me: Last week, he lost his croc sandal in school. I was so sad. I wanted to buy him a new one, but am not sure whether it’s doing him any good
Her: Buy him, then give it to him with some advice
Me: But he’s actually not asking.....
Her: Oh well, don’t then
Me: Sometimes he didn’t ask, but I really wanted to buy him. So I’m wondering if I’m teaching him consumerism
Her: Hayya. So who needs to learn spending money wisely here?
Me: Hehehe, exactly!

Well, okay honey, since I'm planning to buy you a pricey birthday gift, I will not buy you a new pair of croc sandals. And I wasn’t really planning for anything special either for your birthday tomorrow. But then, I thought, it would be nice if I wake you up tomorrow morning with a cake and candle. So, me being me, I just called up Holland Bakery to order a special birthday cake for you.

I’m so looking forward to your birthday tomorrow..., your 8th birthday...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Son.

Me and mom are very lucky to have you with us.