Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Letting You Decide

I think it is so natural for children like you to stall when they are asked to quit playing and do other things. But I have a very good trick that never fails me: I let you decide when do you want to quit!

Just like today, we spent the day at Circuz Circuz Playground at PIM. I was beginning to get worried when one hour after your usual lunch time, you still refused to quit. So this is what I did. I asked you to determine the time you want to quit. After a tough negotiation, we agreed that you would quit playing 20 minutes later, at.1.30. And it never fails. At 1.29, I showed you the time, and you voluntarily went out from the playground without a fuss.

I use this same trick when you are reluctant to get a bath, refuse to turn off the tv or don’t want to eat up your meal. I think it makes you feel appreciated that you are being involved in the decision making and therefore also learn to honor your own decisions.

The only problem is when you try it on me: “So, mama, what time are you going to get home? At which number the little hand is pointing at…..?” Hahaha, smart kid…..

No comments: