Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Bending the Rules

Last week, I came to your school to see you practicing soccer. It was really fun watching you running here and there, having a good time with all your friends. And you glanced at me every now and then, as if to ensure that I was watching all your silly actions.

When I knew that your time to practice was over, I asked you to go home. You were stalling for some time and when you finally agreed, you told me that you need to tell your coach that you are going off. Fine, I thought, that was a very polite thing to do. I’m proud that you are actually doing what you are taught in good manner. However, your coach was busy being the referee for another game. And despite your attempts to get his attention, he didn’t notice that you were asking permission to leave.

And so I told you that it’s ok to go home without telling the coach. You insisted, “I have to tell the coach that I’m going home. Otherwise, how would he know? What if he were looking for me? I have to tell him first, mama. That’s the rule”.

Now, how do you draw the line on exceptions for rules that you have been taught? It must be difficult for you to understand that sometimes it is okay to bend the rule a bit for a good reason. For you, it’s either good or bad, right or wrong, white or black There is no such thing as “Yeah, that’s the rule…., but…..”, as what we, adults, often say.

Unfortunately, as you get older, you will be facing this kind of situation more often. There will be times when you know what you are supposed to do, but it would be better not to do it. Or you know that it is not a nice thing to do, but you got to do it anyway. All for a greater good. But then again, how do you draw the line?

I guess only a wise person can draw the line properly and only time can teach you to become a wise person. Until then, you might just have to follow your heart and learn from your mistakes.

(picture shows you were waiting to get a chance to talk to your coach)

3 comments:

Eva.M said...

Is it "bending the rules" or "teaching him exceptions to the rules"?

There are (almost) always exceptions to just about any rules, which is one or two steps more complex or advanced to teach than the general rules.

Mom said...

@ Eva: Thanks, Va. This is the first comment I have in this blog :). Anyway, yes, in my kid’s case, it is about teaching him exception to the rules. However, as adults, we might be in the situation where we just have to bend the rules. And I guess, when we know that we are bending it, we cannot hide and say that it is just an exception to the rules. What do you think?

Eva.M said...

Absolutely. "Bending the rule" to me is just an euphemism for "breaking the rule". If you break the rule, you break the rule.

In the particular case where your son did not say goodbye to his teacher, the basic rule of politeness to the teacher has not been broken.

It's not the 'going directly to the teacher and shake his hand' that is important. It is the politeness and respect to the elderlies that need to be maintained.

This is about going back to the essense and what is accepted in the society.

The lesson has gotten more and more complex :)