Sunday, April 08, 2007

MTV, Is It For You?

I think everybody agrees that TV programs can affect the way you think, they way you act, both in a positive and negative way. That’s why I try to be very careful, yet liberal about it.

When you began watching TV regularly, I only let you watch Disney Playhouse, and sometimes, Disney Channels. Then, when you were nearly 6, I let you watch Cartoon Network and sometimes, Nickleodeon. Some people misunderstands, you know, that as long as it’s cartoons, it’s save for children to watch. Well, I don’t think that’s the case. There are actually a lot of violence even in cartoons.

But as you get older, it will be more difficult for me to make restriction on what to and not to watch. That’s why whenever I’m home, we always watch the TV together, and I try to explain about the scene whenever I feel I need to. Usually, you just said ignorantly “yeah, yeah, I know, it’s only on TV…….”. Well, at least I tried.

These past few days, however, I notice that you began to stop clicking the channels at MTV. You seem to enjoy the music and the programs where people do silly things. I’m not sure if it’s a good thing, but I let you watch it anyway. In fact, I think it would be better if we watch it together, rather than you watch it when I’m not around. You know, sometimes people keep on doing something just because they get more curious (of the reason why they are not being allowed to do it). And I don’t want that to happen to you.

Anyway, I can perfectly understand when you want to watch Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon, but MTV……, with all those sexy music shows and wacky programs? Aren’t you too young to enjoy it?

No comments: